Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Review: Arda Wigs

I have a tendency to like changing up my hair a bit. Okay, a lot. Because of this my hair is a bit... damaged. It's naturally thin strands and a lot of them, so it tends to break easily under stress and become frizzy and fried. So I decided to finally look into wigs, only to be met with bland colours that were expensive. Looking at a lot of cosplay wigs brought only cheaply made wigs that were only good for a few uses, came pre-styled and would never look natural.

Then I heard of Arda Wigs.



"Arda Wigs is a St. Louis based wig company that was established in 2008. We are dedicated to bringing cosplayers and wig enthusiasts wig styles that you can not only wear on any head type but that also realistic looking and easy to style. We're known for our customer service, fast shipping, great prices and mobility as far as traveling all over the United States to bring our wigs to a convention near you."
-From the "About Arda Wigs"

I ordered from Arda Wigs back on April 22, a bit sad to know that my order wouldn't be processed until the 27th. Never fear, it was for a good cause. Arda Wigs makes a point of going to a large amount of conventions, setting up, selling wigs and making a name for themselves. It's a cause for delay that I completely support. I was annoyed at myself though, to know they had been at Megacon not long before, where I had been and failed to notice them.

After searching for reviews I found a lot of praise for the company, especially on the EGL livejournal community.
"Thickness/realistic-ness wise, they've got one of the best lines I've seen (especially in the US). I've handled their wigs a few times in person, though I don't own one myself (yet, but I plan to soon) :)" - Kitsoru in a discussin on EGL livejournal


 My package upon retrieving it from my crammed mailbox thanks to a lazy mail man.

People seem to sing praises about quality, ease of styling and great customer service. Their customer gallery makes me even more confident in them, even the neon colours still seem like they could be someone's natural hair.
With a large choice of styles and colours it was hard to chose, everything they have looks like styles that could flatter many faces and I want all of them. I finally settled on one that seemed to mix everything I wanted. I had blue hair once and loved it, I wanted something long and lightly already curly, similar to my natural hair, but I'd been itching for bleach white hair. After seeing costumer pictures where the purple seemed to fade to a purpleish-white under harsh lights I settled on this one
Ordering was very simple, goes through Pay Pal and sends out automatic emails to confirm payment. All the information is also very clear.

On April 27th I received an automatic email that my package was being shipped and it came with tracking. It was much sooner that I had expected. They had posted on the site they'd be getting back just on the 27th, so I didn't expect anything until maybe the 30th. Today it arrived! Prepare for picture spam.

The netting around it was a little flimsy and odd, but it was nice to have it so well shipped.
The wig itself was in a separate resealable bag that I didn't take a picture of.

It does fade out a little under light. Not as much as I thought, but I'm very happy anyways.

Sadly, all these shots are without a wigcap and without any styling, besides the hair clip. I was in a bit of a rush to get this up today and had no wigcap on hand.

Rocking the Vader Expressions shirt for Star Wars Day.



Final scores
Communication- Great. Automated, but when I emailed about Pay Pal mixing my address up a little I got a quick, and human, response. All the emails were quick, clear and to the point.

Shipping- Shipping was very reasonable, I don't remember what it was exactly, but I remember not being surprised. With the delay for the con I was expecting a much longer time before I heard anything about it.

Selection- Excellent. They have a wide range of colours and styles to pick from. From what I understand they've just started adding even more. You can see some of them that are soon to be added on their Facebook page.

Ordering- Excellent. Everything was very clear and simple.

Prices- Great. I'm not a pro on wigs, but these prices are certainly better than what I'd seen for lower quality elsewhere. The only reason this doesn't get an excellent is because I'm not extremely knowledgeable, s I don't want to rate 5/5 when I can't really say I know what ranks a 5/5.

Quality- Great. Very nice for the price especially. It wasn't as soft as I was expecting from the reviews I'd read, but it was higher than I would estimate from somewhere else for being heat resistant and for under $50.

Overall- Excellent. Shipping was timely, communication good, selection varied and clear as well as often updated. All in all, I'm very pleased and will be ordering again soon. Arda wigs is also celebrating their success with a sale. 10% off when you use the code 1000LIKES but be quick, it ends today.

Now, what should I go for next...

Oh and happy Star Wars Day! May the 4th be with you!

1 comment:

  1. Looks way cute. Im a total arda fan too. have you ordered any more since???

    ReplyDelete